innovation in metadata design, implementation & best practices
DCMI Citations Working Group
DCMI Citation Working Group
||Ann Apps, Researcher, MIMAS, The University of Manchester, UK.
||This working group is inactive.
||To agree on mechanisms for providing a DC-compliant set of metadata properties for recording citation information for bibliographic resources.
The initial focus of the Working Group was on capturing the complete bibliographic citation information for a journal article
within the metadata for that article itself. This was extended to encompass citation information for references and other genres
of bibliographic resources. Reference citation information may be encoded in the dcterms:references element refinement
Archive: Download the mail archive (219k Zip)
- 2005-06-13: Guidelines for Encoding Bibliographic Citation Information
in Dublin Core Metadata published as a DCMI recommendation.
- 2003-08-31: DCMICite: a Bibliographic Citation Dublin Core Structured Value Encoding Scheme proposal submitted
to DCMI Usage Board. Proposal subsequently withdrawn and deprecated.
- 2002-10-16: Working Group meeting at DC2002 in Florence. Italy
- 2002-10-13:*bibliographicCitation_, an element refinement for dc:identifier, approved
as conforming by the DCMI Usage Board
- 2002-03-28: Two proposals, "A citation element Refinement for dc:identifier" and
"A Journal Article Bibliographic Citation Dublin Core Structured Value", completed and submited to DCMI Usage Board
- 2001-10-23: Working Group meeting at DC-9 in Tokyo, Japan.
Decision to split 'Recording Bibliographic Citation Information for Journal Articles in Dublin Core' proposal into several different
proposals as shown on the work plan.
- 2001-10-05: Working draft document Recording Bibliographic Citation Information for Journal Articles in Dublin Core
Working Group reopened as the DCMI Citation Working Group. Note: the edition/version/release issue is now
out-of-scope of this working group.
- 2001-03-15: Meeting at University of Bath, UK (hosted by UKOLN)
attended by a small group of interested people.
- 2000-10-06: DCMI Bibliographic Citations and Versions Working Group wound up. Cliff Morgan stood down as chair.
- 2000-10-04/06: DC8 in Ottawa, Canada.
- 1999-10-25/27: Working group meeting at DC7 in Frankfurt, Germany. Agreed on
Qualifier Proposal (1999)
- Citation information should be included in DC.Identifier with a 'Citation' qualifier, except for ISSN which should be in
- Edition/version/release information should be an element qualifier of Description, either 'Release' or 'Notes'
- 1999-07-02: Bibliographic Citation Working Draft. This proposed:
- including citation information in a DC.Relation element with an IsPartOf qualifier
- including edition/version/release information in DC.Title with a 'Release' qualifier. Other options considered were: Description;
- 1998-11-04: DCMI Bibliographic Citations and Versions Working Group constituted. Founded after DC6, the original
charter of this group was:
"This group is responsible for identifying standard methods for including bibliographic citation
information about resources in their own metadata, and related problems of identifying resource version information."